Vi's Gelpis are different from standard Gelpis in two respects:
1.Short blunt tips give focal retraction for precise exposure of the fracture or lesion.
2. The teeth on the ratchet are smaller than usual giving finer control over the spread of the tips.
Gelpis are virtually an extra pair of hands and are invaluable where the surgeon is working without a scrubbed assistant. The curved shape fits nicely on our patients. Useful in the following procedures and many more:
• Total Femoral Head and Neck Excision
• CrCL repairs
• Meniscal examination
• All arthrotomy procedures
• Fracture repairs
• Rib retractors in small patients
Two pairs of Gelpis placed at right angles to one another may be used to create a window into a joint or fracture site. Gelpis are available in a number of lengths.
Bungee Gelpis - Based on the Vi standard Gelpi, with added anchor points for elastic stays allowing 4 point retraction from a single two point instrument. Anchor points may be double loaded for 6 point retraction. Accepts Lone Star or Vi Elastic Stays.
• Better retraction with fewer retractors cluttering a wound
• Greater stability of Gelpi’s within a wound with four or six point retraction preventing the tips from sliding towards each other. Easier for surgeries which are often performed in a more vertical position, such as perineal hernia repair.
• More useful shape to retracted hole – more rectangular than round, square or diamond, but is very adaptable to suit the situation.
• Multi-layer retraction such as creating deep retraction with tips and improved skin retraction with the elastic stays.